Ta Da! Presenting. . . . "Stars Over the Mountain"!
It's finally all done, and ready for it's unveiling. Tomorrow is the big day for the guild. We're having a potluck and then everybody votes for best in catagory. (I understand there's even some money involved in the awards.)
Here's the crayon I had to work with. "Purple Mountain's Majesty" (hence the name for the quilt). So, how'd I do? Really, it's hard to tell on the computer. Purple is so hard to capture on "film" (digital?) We have to display the challenge crayon with the quilt for judging. This should be fun to see.
Earlier this week, I decided to make my granddaughters some dresses. They're really "into" dresses right now, and I found some cute fabric at W*lm*rt. It comes pre-shirred and pre-hemmed. So, I measured the girls on July 4th, and bought fabric this week. The smallest one is 23" around her chest, and the bigger one is a little bigger. So I got 3/4 yard for each, figuring I'd have enough to make some straps with. Brought the fabric home and pre-washed it.
Guess what? That fabric shrunk like nobody's business! The smallest piece is probably just big enough for the 2 yo next door, and the largest came out 23" exactly. So, back to W*lm*rt for another piece of fabric. This time I got a whole yard. And there was no pink left, darn it. (Needless to say, they both adore pink)
This time after pre-washing, that 36" piece shrunk down to 31". *sigh* I guess I should know better. This fabric is so thin, you could read through it. I'm used to quilt shop quality, I guess. Anyway, they came out fine and the girls both like them. So, all is good.
Here is the youngest with her frog print dress.
I attached the straps with frog buttons, which I also found @ W*lm*rt. They're a very soft plastic. I left lots of strap, so when she gets taller, we just have to move two buttons.
I've done some more free-pieced stars. I've started some words, but I'm not going to show them yet, because I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. More later. . . .