First up is a scrap project I've been working on. I have a drawer in my cutting table that I've been putting 2 1/2 inch squares in as I'm cutting fabrics. After quite a few years, it was getting pretty full. I've been working on sewing them into "two-sies" for a while now. I've kept changing my mind as to what quilt pattern they would become....there are so many possibilities! 4-Patches, 9-Patches or what?? I played with lots of ideas. Then one day, my shoe box that I keep the "two-sies" in got too full to close and it was time for a decision.
Meanwhile I had seen this link from Ebay on Facebook:
This old beauty was intriguing to me. I finally figured out what this block design is. The big clue was that the blocks are set on point. So, after a little while with a pencil and some graph paper, I had it figured out.
This is the block:
This is really just a rough sketch. Imagine background rectangles in place. The block will finish at 8 inches square. That's gonna be a lot of 2 1/2 inch squares! The inspiration quilt uses half square triangles, but since I already had plain squares sewn together, I thought I'd just keep it simple and use those. I think there are a few HST's in there as well, just because they were in the drawer. I'm using scrappy white-on-whites for the backgrounds.
I started out doing the "kitchen sink" approach and using any of my older fabrics in my squares, but when push came to shove, I had to edit out the old ugly fabrics that I just couldn't stand any more. Some of those squares actually went into the trash! I figured "Why make a quilt with fabric that I don't love, when there is so much that I do love?" Right? That still leaves me with a lot of 2 1/2 inch squares! And I can always cut some more if I need to.
So this is now my latest long-term project. I have a number of blocks sewn, as you can see in the top photo, but lots more to go. And no rush on this, I'm just using up my scraps. Really, only some of my scraps! And now it's time to start cutting more 2 1/2 inch squares to replenish my stock of them.
This was just left-over bits and pieces that I inherited from a friend 9 years ago. Finally getting it together!
Remember back in April when I posted about playing with the Rail Fence block from Sujata's book? You can see my post here. (scroll down a ways) I determined that, to use the fabrics I wanted, I need to make a 14" block. Well, this was my sample block to see if my math for the conversion was correct. And, it's a miracle - the block came out the perfect 14 inch size! Each Rail Fence unit in the block is a 3 1/2 inch square. See, amazing math skillz! I used an older true Madras plaid and a solid for this one. This block didn't need much more to be the right size for a preemie quilt, just a couple of borders. (The target size for a preemie quilt is 18" x 24").
I had more fabric left over, so I made one more to use it up. This is a little different, but I hope someone enjoys it. Now, on to the quilting.
The Tacoma Modern Quilt Guild was having a summer event to show off some of our quilts and sell some small items, so I made some potholders. I was thrifty and recycled some bits and blocks as well as using some fun fabric.
Each of these is a one-of-a kind potholder. Two are string blocks from the string bin.
Also one-of-a-kinds. Leftover 8 inch squares from The Parts Department.
These two were someone's leftover strip sets that I rescued from the quilt shop. They're a set of two and are two sided with the same fabrics.
Another two pairs of rescued strip sets potholders and the top two potholders are also pairs (one blue pair, one red pair) of some cheater selvage fabric.
The top left is a pair of potholders of left-over charm squares that I "inherited", while the top right pair uses some left-over 9-patches, also "inherited". The bottom two are two pairs of a different cheater selvage fabric.
All of the potholders!
Now I need to make more potholders for the other guild's upcoming quilt show, to sell at the Country Store we have at the show. It's a good thing potholders are fun and fast!
For my sewing this month I have to do those three bindings, make potholders and maybe some bags, make a baby quilt and work on my Liberated Medallion QAL quilt tops. I hope I can do it all! If the weather stays a reasonable temp, I can stand to be in the quilt studio. It's cooled off today from the last 2 days, so that's where I'm headed now.