I tried something this week that I've talked about for a while, but never worked up the courage to try. I actually accomplished my first art quilt! This was due to some pointed encouragement by my DH. It's not quilted yet, but it's all fused. I'm very happy with it. It came out better than I thought it might. Now I just have to quilt it without screwing it up - wish me luck. I'm nervous about it now.
I worked from a photo I took a few years ago of some black-eyed susan flowers that were in front of a picket fence in the backyard of our previous house in California. This little quilt is approximately 8" x 10".
Here's a closeup. What was interesting was that those flower petals weren't the shape that I assumed they were. I had to really look at them and then change the way I was cutting them when the first ones I made weren't right. An eye-opening experience, so to speak!
One day this week, it was warm and sunny, and I couldn't stand it any longer. I HAD to get out and dye fabric! It's only been something like 2 1/2 years since I've gotten to do it, and I've really missed it. The house we're in now has no good place to work inside (I'm terrified that I would drip dye on the light-colored wood floors!), so I have to wait for a nice day and do it outside. It didn't take too long to get set up and get to it. I've gotten a little rusty in that 2 1/2 years, but mostly did OK. The hard part was chasing the sun spots around the yard! I finally found a sunny spot. However, by the time I figured that out and tried some sun printing, the clouds came in and there was no direct sun. Rats! Next time I have to do it earlier in the day and in the right spot.