|Gwen's Liberated Stars quilt|
Some of the students (like me) had already made the liberated stars, and some were new to it. When I've made stars in the past, I've always cut the background fabric away after sewing and trimming the star point. Gwen said she doesn't do that very often anymore, so I tried not trimming. It didn't seem to make a big difference for 6 inch stars, but seemed too thick for the little 3 inch stars as well as the 9 inch stars. Maybe it's just because I'm used to trimming? I haven't made up my mind which I prefer yet.
Here are all the students' work that I managed to get photos of.
Some fun bits going on in these stars!
Love what the striped fabrics do!
Do you remember the string blocks from my last post? Well, this student added the stars to her string blocks. Cute, huh?
And here are my stars - I did a 3 inch, a 6 inch and a 9 inch star. For this project, I decided to use my hand-dyed fabrics. Most of those fabrics have been "aging" in my stash for a number of years, waiting to be used in the right project. I think this is it! I'm using a Kona Snow background, with a couple of low-volume black and white prints to mix things up.
I found the 3 inch star fairly challenging to make, but I think it's really cute. I'm sure they will get easier as I make more.
I haven't made any more stars since the class, as higher-priority things have claimed my time. But I can't wait to get back to making stars.
One of the students brought a liberated log cabin quilt to show off. It is made using mostly solids, but the print fabrics in there are a fun touch.
I've been so busy lately that I haven't had time to post. I have lots to share with you. I hope to do another post soon.
See ya soon!