First, a big Thank You to Amy for hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival. It's my favorite on-line event of the year!
Here is my second entry in the BQF this autumn:
52 x 68 inches
Entered in the Small Quilt category
This quilt was a long-term project - that was never meant to be long-term! I started this quilt about 20 years ago (to the best of my poor memory). I intended this to be a cuddle quilt for the love seat in the family room, which was upholstered in pillow ticking. Well, when we moved 7 years ago, I had to pack up my entire quilt studio. I put all my projects in under-the-bed plastic bins. Long story short, I actually lost this quilt!
|somehow, all those buttons remind me of polka dots!|
The top was all put together, the inner border was sewn on, and then I put this aside for some reason. I had put this in a tote bag before I put it in the plastic bin for moving, along with the chambray fabric for the border. Well, when I unpacked my quilt studio, I just kept everything in the bins because I have no room to get everything out. You need to realize that I have 10 bins full of unfinished projects. *blush* Well, I never saw this again, because it was hiding in that tote bag.
Eventually (last year, actually) I thought "Gee, don't I have some chambray fabric somewhere?" I had a thought of what to use it for. So, I dug through all those plastic bins and ran across the tote bag. When I looked in there I said "Aha! There's that chambray fabric!" And pulled it out. Only to discover the quilt top! I had completely forgotten about it. (See? There's that poor memory again.) Now, I can't remember why I was looking for that chambray fabric!
So I got the borders on, and sent it to my long-armer Shari to get it quilted up for me. And I've been sewing all those buttons on for months. I sprained my wrist in mid-July this year, and that really put me behind. It was too painful to sew for very long at a time. But I really wanted this done in time for my guild's quilt show in early October.
It's finally finished! I got it done in time to go in the quilt show. I actually sewed on the very last button the night before I had to turn in the quilt. Nothing like the last minute, eh? I no longer have the love seat that it was supposed to go on, but now the quilt is done and will be the cuddle quilt in the family room.
I used a pattern in a book I have called "Better Homes and Gardens: Quilts To Make For Kids" (published in 1991). I used actual pillow ticking for the "woven" blocks in the top. I used some bright jewel tone fabrics that were so popular in the '90's for the inner border. And I bought buttons to match those colors to put on the top. One problem though - I never counted how many buttons I would need to do every intersection on the top! So, I have been buying more buttons at various stores. Did you know that button colors change over the years? I cannot find that particular fuchsia (a vivid purplish-red color, like the flowers) color of buttons anymore! Dark pink, yes, but not fuchsia. Just thought you might like to know that. *grin*
Anyway, I managed to find a little more of those bright jewel tone fabrics still hiding in my stash. So I used them for part of the binding, and I even had enough to put some on the back of the quilt! I used embroidery floss for putting on the buttons, matching the color of the floss to the button color. I sewed though the quilt a couple of times, then tied the floss off, leaving short tails of the floss.
I was asked at the quilt show if I got dizzy putting this quilt together, because of all the stripes. I really didn't have a problem with it. The digital camera doesn't like focusing on the stripes - they seem to vibrate in the photos - but they're not as bad when you're up close to them.
To my surprise, this quilt won 3rd place for People's Choice at the quilt show! I love this quilt, and I'm so glad to finally have it finished!
You can see my other entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival here.
Enjoy the BQF! And I hope you'll come back to visit my blog again!