Sunday, December 04, 2011

A Lazy Sunday


Here are the Trip Around the World blocks that I started for Block Lotto.  This was the block for November. They look pretty good, don't they?  Well, what you can't see is that they're the wrong size.  I was aiming for 12 1/2 inches (raw edge) and what I got ranged from 12 3/4 to 13 inches.  I was using my little Brother travel machine, and apparently I've not been getting a true 1/4 inch seam allowance on it.  Rats.  I tried and tried and still couldn't get it right. *sigh*

So, I tried something else.  I got out my ruler and the painter's tape and marked where the fabric should be for a true 1/4 inch seam allowance.  I cleaned out the lint (like that would help?)  and then decided that I should replace the needle while I was at it.  It had been a while.  So, got the new needle in and took a couple of stitches slowly and carefully to make sure I had actually put the needle in the right place.  Guess what?  I think I didn't get it right.  After those two stitches, the machine made a kind-of-funny noise and there was just a stub of metal where the needle should be!  Ack! 

So, since neither DH nor I could get the plate off the machine to find the needle, AND I have a service contract that means I pay NOTHING for service (I LOOOVE that!), I decided that the machine needs to go to the shop and have a needle-ectomy.  At that point, I also decided that it wasn't the right day for me to be sewing.  I quietly turned out the light in the quilt studio and shut the door behind me. 


A few days later, I went back into the quilt studio, hauled out my trusty Bernina, and made 8 blocks (the correct size!) for the Block Lotto.  Whew!  I found my "sewing mojo" again!  Now I just have to get these in a couple of envelopes to send off to the Block Lotto winners.  And I'm sad that I didn't win this month.  :(

Now, I'm free to start work on my Christmas sewing.  Well, AFTER I clean up the quilt studio.  The piles of fabrics and projects is getting too deep to be able to actually accomplish anything in there.  The stacks keep sliding over and off onto the floor.  And there is only about 8 inches square of surface on the cutting table that is free of "stuff". Ugh.  I don't really want to clean up, but it is time.  Maybe I'll be able to find the blocks for DGD's quilt that I've "lost" in there.  If I'm not back in 2 days, send in the Search and Rescue team.  I may be buried alive!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sharon...keep that sense of humor going! Sewing is supposed to be fun! My BIG STUDIO CLEAN will have to wait until after Christmas. It is now GIFT WRAP CENTRAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Brother machine has obviously gone into major sulk mode. Thank goodness you've got the back up.

    Best of luck with the major clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL - oh girl I've had way too many days like this! Hope the needle-ectomy turns out ok! Glad you finally got the blocks the right size, and I hope we don't need search and rescue, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too funny! The thought of a needle-ectomy has me LOL as I type.
    I would love to be on the rescue team if it comes to that.
    I was just pressing my own scrappy trips....the very fabric that is up in your header, is in my blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....LOL....I was laughing the whole time I was reading!!! I was (snort) one of the winners (snort)!!! They really are just too cute for words blocks!!! Ok, I don't mean to rub it in!

    Oh my yes, I've had things falling/sliding off onto the floor too!!! LOL, of course, I have always tried to maintain AT LEAST 12" of work space on my cutting table!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the blocks!!!! oh we all have days like that don't feel bad....
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I love to hear your feedback on what I'm doing, so please leave me a comment.