Here's some early May Day flowers for you!
My granddaughters came over on Saturday, and A~ wanted to make paper flowers. I kept making them after she left! They were fun. I used this tutorial. They call them carnations, but I think mine look more like ranunculus. They were fun to make! A~ and I made more and different flowers than this, but I forgot to get a picture of them. She wanted some flowers for the pottery vase that DH made for her - how sweet!
I have to put these up where Dunkel can't get to them, because he gets them and carries them around the house at night. When I woke up yesterday there was one lying in the upstairs hallway. At least it wasn't in bed with me! (Have I ever mentioned what a crazy cat Dunkel is?? He often brings his toys and puts them in bed with us at night.)
The pipe cleaners were still out on the counter when The Kid got home and made a disturbing discovery with his package of Twizzlers. Weird, huh? Is all that food coloring even good for you? I'm guessing Not.
OK, enough silliness - back to quilting now! Here is my Liberated Log Cabins from the other day. I finally got it all sewn together and the first border on it.
I had started the Liberated Equilateral Sawtooth border in the class with Gwen Marston last year. Gwen had demonstrated it for us. I was a little worried because I couldn't quite remember how to do it. So you can imagine how relieved I was to find that the instructions are also in her Liberated Quiltmaking II book! (page 67) It was easier than I remembered it. I had so much fun I made 2 borders!
The 2nd border I managed to get even wonkier. I got brave enough to play around with it, and I'm really happy with how it worked. I like it so much I may have to make a whole quilt like this someday!.
I thought maybe all triangles in the borders might be overpowering for the log cabins, and I wanted to mix things up some, so then I made the pieced insert borders. Those were fun too. Finally I tied it all together with more of the plaid that is in the centers of the log cabins. And look, there's even points on some of those triangles! So, it's now a liberated not-really-but-kind-of-medallion!
And this is all that's left of the plaid fabric. Enough to do a little something on the back of the quilt, hopefully. Which I will try to do sometime this week. I want to get this basted and ready to quilt soon.
My crumb blocks quilt is back from the long-armer, and I'm currently getting the binding done. I'm almost 1/2 way around the quilt, so pictures to come soon! Which is a good thing, because the next quilt is already in the mail and on it's way here. Whoo hoo! I LOVE getting quilts back from the quilter!