I've dabbled in Improv and liberated, or wonky, quilting for awhile now. My first example is a quilt top that was started in 2005. The blocks were made from a pattern, and I showed the improv border I'd started in my last post. Now it's all done and sewn onto the quilt top. Yay!
I'm really happy with the way it came out. It still needs a good press before it goes to the quilter. And, of course, I need to make a back for it.
I made too many pieced triangles for the border, because more is better when you don't know how many you need! I think this will be inserted in the back, once I get it all sewn together. This is not a great picture, so you'll have to take my word for how good this looks.
These are my Block Lotto blocks for June - improv circles. They were easy and great fun. Sewing those wonky curves is sooo easy! I'd love to win these, so my fingers are crossed.
I think I need to play with improv pieced circles some more....more ideas keep coming to my mind.
Finally, the other day I decided to purposefully start a new improv project. Originally the thought was a baby quilt for my hairdresser, but now I'm not so sure that's what it will be. It might just be whatever it turns out to be.
Those pieces aren't really big enough to be a baby quilt without a LOT more work. This might be a smaller wall quilt. I'll do something with bigger pieces (read: easier and faster) for the baby quilt. I'm really liking this so far! My initial plan for the color scheme was bright colors with lots of grey, because that was the request for the baby quilt. I may add more colors or something else along the way. Whatever the piece tells me it needs.
I'm also working on my Gwen Marston-inspired Medallion Quilt-along (see my side bar) piece, but that is more secret. You'll have to wait until Friday for the reveal of the next border....but I'll tell you that it is kinda improv. At least liberated/wonky, for sure. I'm furiously working and hoping that I'll have it done in time for the reveal!