|My Mystery Quilt fabics|
The first project we're doing is a Mystery Quilt. I decided to shop my stash for this one, but I had to look at lots of fabrics. I needed three yards of background, and two yards each of a focus fabric and an accent fabric. I don't usually buy big chunks of fabric, so not all of them were big enough for this project. But, after going through my entire stash, pulling out anything that looked like it might be big enough, I finally found a focus fabric I liked AND had enough of! I even had enough of the dragonfly print background fabric as well. Both the wild print and the background fabrics have been in my stash for a few years. I did have to buy the green fabric, but that wasn't a problem. *grin*
The second project the guild will be doing this year is a Traveling Round Robin. This is a different Round Robin than is usually done. How this Round Robin works is this: I decide which fabrics I want my quilt made from, and put them all into a box or a bin with my name on it. I then decide which 12 inch block I want to make for everyone's Round Robin quilt. Then I make a block in my chosen pattern, using my fabrics, which I also place in my box. Then I pass my box/bin to the next person on the list, and I also receive a box from another person. For each box that I receive, I will make the same block in "my" pattern using the fabrics that are in their box, then put the block I made in their box and pass it to the next person on the list. I'll always pass and receive from the same two people throughout the Round Robin. (As an example, I always pass to Julie and receive from Bonnie.) After the Round Robin is all done, I'll have 15 12-inch blocks for a sampler quilt, all in different patterns but all in my fabrics. Then I'll decide if I need to make more blocks (I might want 20 blocks), how I want to set them together and then finish the quilt.
|My Traveling Round Robin fabrics|
I went to my LQS and spent about 2 hours looking at fabrics. Nothing really captured my attention. At least, nothing I really wanted a quilt made from. So then I went to Ben Franklin's and looked around. The only focus fabric there that I loved, I've already bought! (you can see the pillowcase I made from this fabric here. You'll need to scroll down a little ways - it's the pillowcase on the right in the photo, with the orange cuff) So that's what I went with. I bought another 2 1/2 yards of the fabric (thinking of a possible border) and bought some companion fabric and a bunch of solids.
The next, hardest decision was which block to make?? I would love to do something free-pieced or improvisational, but I don't think it would be the same sort of style as everyone else will be doing, which, to my mind, is important when you're doing a sampler quilt. I spent hours (days!) poring over quilt books, trying to decide what block to do. I used up some older scraps to make sample blocks.
The first block I tried is called "Album" and I found it in Judy Hopkins' 501 Rotary Cut Blocks. Nice enough, but not really "it".
Another block from the same book called "Irish Chain". I didn't even finish sewing this one together after I decided I really didn't like that yellow fabric - it's thin and flimsy. I wish I had switched the position of the lights and the darks. I could just switch the yellow triangles out for the blue, but I don't care enough to spend the time to remake this block. Again, I like this block but it's still not what I was hoping for.
So, I really thought about what I would be doing with the block, and decided that I needed a block that could use multiple fabrics easily, as well as look complex without being too difficult to do. We'll be passing our boxes twice a month in order to have the quilts finished in time for the quilt show in October - hopefully. So, I thought that complex piecing would make it difficult for me to do the blocks in a timely manner. That ruled out blocks with a lot of triangles. I knew I just wouldn't be happy making those. So I changed my parameters for this and looked in some other books.
|not too bad for scraps, huh?|
Here is the block I decided on. It's a Sister's Choice variation and I found it in Kim Diehl's book Simple Charm. I can use up to 11 fabrics per block, those triangles are really easy to do, I don't need to worry about cutting off the points of the triangles on the edge of the block, and it has easy cutting and assembly. This will work for me!
Now all I have to do is make my block with my fabrics and I'm ready to pass it on to Julie. I already have Bonnie's box and I need to make this block with her fabrics as well.
But first, I have to deal with the disaster that my quilt studio has become. Ugh. No room to work or even walk, so it has become a priority now. Hopefully that won't take too many days.