Finally finished! This is Playtime, that I gave a sneak peek of way back in Sept. I got the binding all sewn down mere hours before I broke my arm, and it was in the quilt show last weekend.
Playtime 47" x 60"
Here's the overall shot. Sorry that the colors are weird - it was rainy and gloomy when I took the picture. I tried to adjust the colors, but it didn't help much. The colors in the photo at the top of the post are more true-to-life.
These blocks are 6" and the little circles in the border are about 1 3/4". I did them raw-edge applique. The border was inspired by Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran's Serpentine border in their Collaborative Quilting (#1) book.
Here you can see the wonderful quilting in the border that my long-armer Shari did. I really like the pattern she used in the main body of the quilt, but the border is just stunning. I love it.
I'm finally starting to feel some better. I'm now off the drugs and starting to feel more like myself. The arm is still painful/uncomfortable sometimes, but getting less so. I'm able to (carefully) use it a little more and spend most of the day without the sling now. (I'm trying to keep that shoulder loose.) I go see the orthopedist again tomorrow.
I'm still not able to do lots and am still being waited on by DH. But I did 3 (easy) loads of laundry yesterday and even swept the floor a little. I'm pretty awkward and frustrated, but I can see progress. I even got into the quilt studio and did a little sewing - making some crumb blocks. I even tried a little rotary cutting - nothing precise, and pretty gingerly. I can't hold the ruler with much pressure from my left arm, so am being very careful with that tool. I sure don't need any more wounds!
Here is my pieced back, Belinda! I started cutting up my small stash of 30's repros into 10.5" squares for the backside of the quilt, but got tired of how slowly it was going. I also used up some extra blocks. You can see a little bit (on the left side of the picture) of my label. I typed it on the computer, printed it out on Printed Treasures fabric, and then pieced it into the quilt back. (I got this tip from Carrie over at La Vie En Rosie blog. I can't find the exact link right now.)